Earn Units Working

If you work, volunteer, or are self-employed, you can earn up to 16 units of elective transfer credit, from 2 to 4 units per semester. 


Registering in section 3002, 3003, or 3004 will place you on a waiting list for the course. To complete the registration process, students must attend one of several mandatory orientations offered during the first week of school. After the orientation, students will be enrolled in the appropriate section based on a combination of factors, including their job site(s) and major or occupational goal(s).

 About the Program:

Cooperative work experience education is a process of education that combines work experience with regular college instruction as an integral part of the community college curriculum.

A student may enroll in Cooperative Education for a maximum of four semesters, and no more than 16 units may be earned at Merced College. Seventy-five hours of work experience (or 60 hours volunteer work) equal one unit of college credit. Cooperative education units are offered in many areas. The number of units (2, 3, or 4) the student will be enrolled in will be determined by the number of hours the student will work during the semester.

In order to participate in the Cooperative Education Program, a student must:

  1. have on-the-job experience in a paid or volunteer position;
  2. enroll in a Cooperative Education course;
  3. have the cooperation of the employer in including new or expanded responsibilities or learning opportunities on the job for which the student is enrolled in Cooperative Education.

Office Location and Contact Information

Merced Campus:

Career Center (3rd Floor, Lesher Building)

  • Contact: Jennifer Lizarraga
  • Hours: M-Th 8-12; F 8-11

Students may also inquire on the Los Banos campus in the Student Services Office.

Myshel Pimentel
Program Manager
(209) 384-6364,