Dual Enrollment Steps
K-12 students can enroll in Merced College classes tuition free (limitations may apply)! To participate in the Merced College dual enrollment program, you must begin with special permission from a parent or guardian and your school principal or designee.
The easiest way to apply for admission at Merced College is online:
Or, you can download and print the Paper Application for Admission (pdf) and drop it off in person to the Admissions & Records office. Be sure to bring a picture ID (such as a High School ID card) to Admissions and Records when you apply.
QUICK TIP: When creating your account, use a PERSONAL email address, NOT one associated with your current high school. Include your full legal name, do not use nicknames or initials. If you have a Social Security Number and might attend Merced College after graduating high school, it is beneficial to include it when applying, though not required.
Once you receive your 7-digit Merced College ID #, begin the Dual Enrollment process by completing the appropriate form:
- Check with your high school counselor for course advisement and eligibility. English 01A is open to eligible 11th and 12th graders only.
- Attach an unofficial high school transcript when completing the permit.
- Attach a current school transcript.
- Attach a letter of recommendation from the school principal.
*If you are unable to complete the routable process above, you can fill out the K-12 Permit and follow the K-12 Petition instructions below:
- Parent and student complete top portion of the Permit for Special K-12 Students form
- Note: You must have one form for EACH class you wish to enroll in.
- Please forward completed PDF forms (Permit for Special K-12 & Schedule Request Form) to a Merced College Counselor at email@example.com for signatures.
- Note: K-8 students will need an Area Dean’s signature on their Permit. Find the appropriate Dean’s email here.
- Submit the completed electronic forms to the Admission & Records office at firstname.lastname@example.org to process enrollment for the upcoming term.
- Note to parents: If you are submitting any paperwork for a student, you must have their permission to do so via the Authorization to Release Student Information form. Accessible on our Admission and Records Forms page.
- . The student must be present when turning in their initial application at which point permission may be granted to other parties to act on their behalf.
K-12 Petition Completion Steps
Find the K-12 Permit in step 2 above.
Student Completes Form
- Complete all highlighted fields. Once complete, click “Click to Sign” button.
- Enter email for Participant 2 (parent or guardian).
- Enter email for Participant 3* (High School Admin / Designee).
- Enter email for Participant 4* (College Counselor).
- *K-8 Students will require an additional signature.
*Use page 3 of the form for guidance
Submit Signed Petition
Once all parties have signed the document, the student will receive the completed document via email. Email the signed document to Admissions & Records at email@example.com.
K-12 admissions processes and emails enrollment confirmation to student or indicates any registration holds to be resolved before processing.
College and Career Access Pathways Enrollment Guides
- Apply for Admission
- Create an OpenCCC account and submit a Merced College application, here. K-12 students must reapply each semester.
- QUICK TIP: When creating your account, use a PERSONAL email address, NOT one associated with your current high school. Include your full legal name, do not use nicknames or initials. If you have a Social Security Number and might attend Merced College after graduating high school, it is beneficial to include it when applying, though not required.
- Identify which class(es) to take
- Check with a counselor at your high school to verify that your school offers Merced College CCAP courses. Work with your counselor to review course offerings and to determine and which course(s) you are eligible to take.
- NOTE: English 01A is open to eligible 11th and 12th graders only.
- Begin permit for special K-12 students
- Download, complete, and save one K-12 petition form (found above).
- Fill and sign the top portion with a parent/guardian.
- Be sure to include your Merced College ID# and each course name. Your high school’s Pathway counselor will fill in the section number.
- Get permit signed by a college counselor
- Email your form(s) to an administrator, typically an Associate Principal of Guidance, at your high school for a digital signature / statement of approval from their official school associated email address. Pathway counselors may either sign as the “Approving K-12 Official” OR as the “College Counselor”, not both.
- Submit K-12 Permit
- Submit your K-12 permit to your school’s Pathway Counselor, who will forward your permit(s) to the Merced College to Admissions & Records for enrollment processing. A Merced College Counselor will sign your permit, as needed.
- NOTE: If you cannot scan the form(s), you may submit a legible picture. Once signed, your forms will be forwarded to Admissions & Records on your behalf for enrollment processing.
- Verify Enrollment
- If any information is missing, you will receive an email reply and may need to resubmit after adding the missing information.
- View your academic plan in your Merced College Portal to verify your enrollment. You will not receive a confirmation email from Admissions & Records.
- NOTE: Parents wishing to complete or discuss enrollment or records information on behalf of their student requires the student to complete and submit an Authorization to Release Student Information form to Admissions. Accessible on our Admission and Records Forms page.
Information for Parents
Did you know?
If you are submitting any paperwork for the student, you must have their permission to do so. The student must be present when turning in their initial application at which point permission may be granted to other parties to act on their behalf.