The Horse Management Program at Merced College is designed to meet the need for trained personnel in a broad range of occupational opportunities involved with or related to the horse industry.
- As an Enrichment Program – for the individual who is interested in the care and development of the horse.
- Certificate of Completion Program – a program in which all course work is directly related to gaining employment.
- Associate Degree Program – advanced cover skills are developed along with general education.
- Transfer Program – formal education is continued at an advanced level in a four-year college or university.
Merced College offers the following degrees/certificates in Horse Management:
- Equine Science and Management (AS)
- Equine Science and Management (CT)
Students enrolled in the Merced College Horse Management Program study theory and apply practical experiences in a variety of classes that are related to the horse. Students receive a platform of experiences which help prepare them for a very competitive business.
The diverse curriculum includes: Agricultural Sales and Accounting, Animal Nutrition, Breeding and Disease, Beginning and Intermediate Horsemanship, and Specialized Horse Training, as well as Tack Repair, Hoof Care, and Equipment Construction.
The safety and well-being of both horse and rider is emphasized in all courses.
These classes give the student a wide view of Agriculture in general and provide in-depth experience in dealing with the problems to be faced when raising horses.
The expansion in the number of horses throughout the United States in the past ten years has resulted in providing new, and a greater number of present career opportunities in all areas associated with horse management.
Trained graduates are in demand nationwide in the areas of horse training, horse breeding farms, horse farm management, equitation instruction, research, assistants to veterinarians, and sales for allied fields.
The following is a list of additional occupations:
- Animal Packer
- Back Country Ranger
- Ranch Jobs (cowboy)
- Ranch Manager
- Ranger Horse Patrol
- Stallion Manager