The Environmental Horticulture Program at Merced is designed to meet the need for trained personnel in a broad range of occupational opportunities involved with or related to the Landscape Industry. Programs can be arranged several ways as follows:
- As a Homeowner enrichment program whereby the homeowner gains knowledge in an effort to improve their home landscape.
- Certificate of Completion Program – a program in which all course work is directly related to gaining employment.
- Associate Degree Program – advanced technical skills are developed along with general education.
- Transfer Program – formal education is continued at an advanced level in a four-year college or university.
Merced College offers the following degrees/certificates in Landscape Horticulture:
- Environmental Horticulture (AS)
- Environmental Horticulture (CT)
The Merced College Landscape Unit includes greenhouses, a lath house, spacious growing grounds, and a modern head house for potting. Facilities available to the Landscape Unit include a large school farm, laboratories, classrooms, and a beautifully landscaped campus. These facilities provide excellent opportunity for study and practice in the production and use of ornamental plants both for sale and for use in the landscape.
The Environmental Horticulture student receives well-rounded training in the field by being exposed to Tree and Plant Identification, Landscape Design, Construction and Maintenance, and Nursery and Garden Center Practice. All courses deal with the entire range of activities within that particular area such as landscape uses of plants, plant propagation, basic irrigation and sprinkler systems. The legal aspects of the field are covered in the Landscape Construction and Installation course when local codes and state requirements for the C-27 Landscape Contractors license are taught.
Enjoyable and profitable employment is waiting for qualified Merced College graduates who become proficient in propagating, growing, installing, and caring for ornamental plants.
The increase in leisure time with the related increase in employment and high earnings, have created an ever-expanding demand for plant material. At present, Merced College is unable to satisfy the demand for trained men and women in this area.
The following list is a sample of the positions available to the graduate:
- Extension Assistant
- Golf Course Personnel Related Industry
- Government Services Park Ranger
- Landscape Designer
- Nursery Industry Landscape Industry
- Nursery Production Landscape
- Parks Groundskeeper Pest Control
- Plant Propagation Landscape Estimator
- Retail Nursery Owner
- Landscape Maintenance
- Retail Nursery Sales Arbor Personnel
- Sales Representative
- Turf Industry