Reserve Officer Modular Training
This course is designed for basic entry-level training to prepare you for a position as a Reserve Officer, Peace Officer, and Deputy Sheriff’s assigned to patrol. Merced College offers Modules III and II of California POST’s three part, part-time peace officer training program, Levels III and II. Level I, which may allow students to apply for full time peace officer positions, must be completed at Fresno City or Delta College (this is not a complete list of places Level I can be taken).
Merced College offers the following degrees/certificates in Reserve Officer Modular Training:
CRIM 42-C Reserve Module Level III
CRIM 42-D Reserve Module Level II
The demand for qualified men and women in the criminal justice field is present today more than ever before. Today’s practitioners need to be able to deal with traditional law enforcement functions, and the complex social issues of our diverse society. Professional opportunities in law enforcement and related fields may be found on the federal, state, and local level as well as in the private sector and industry. Each agency or private entity provides unique career opportunities for the trained recruit. Many related career fields such as Reserve Officer, Peace Officer, and Deputy Sheriff’s assigned to patrol.
- The first half of the program CRIM 42-C is an 11-week course offered each fall.
- The second half of the program CRIM 42-D is a 12-week course offered each spring.
- Classes meet on Tuesday & Thursday nights from 6 to 10 PM & Saturday & Sundays from 8 AM to 5 PM and 12 Noon to 9 PM as needed for night firearms qualification.
Course Minimum Requirements
- Current medical examination conducted within 6 months (for safety and liability reasons).
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license. Copy of a current DMV printout will be requested.
- Students must apply for and receive a California Department of Justice Firearms and Arrest Clearance (Penal Code Section 13511.5).