Tools for Success
At Merced College we are committed to helping students to be successful. As a result, we provide specialized support and services for students completing their studies at a distance. If you have any questions or concerns we have experienced staff available to help you!
Basic technology skills for success
- Students must already possess the following technology skills:
- Use of e-mail
- Ability to create and e-mail documents as attachments (Word and RTF)
- Experience with uploading and downloading files
- Experience with posting to discussion boards, on-line chats, and electronic bulletin boards
- Students must be able to access their Merced College student e-mail account and have reliable Internet access.
- It is strongly recommended that students have easy and regular access (preferably from home) to the identified types of equipment and software.
You may need to come on campus
Currently most of the Internet-based classes require some time on campus in face-to-face contact with the instructor. This requirement will vary from class to class, so read the schedule carefully.
All orientations and in-class sessions for Online Instruction take place on the Merced College Main Campus located at 3600 M Street in Merced or the Los Banos Campus at 22240 Highway 152 in Los Banos.
Don’t get dropped from your online class
Failure to attend a mandatory orientation or in-class session may result in your being dropped from the class by the instructor. Some of the instructors require that you e-mail them BEFORE THE CLASS BEGINS. It is highly recommended that you e-mail the instructor for instructions several weeks before the class begins.