Merced College English Language Institute (MCELI)
Merced College English Language Institute (MCELI), located at Merced College in Merced, California, is dedicated to enhancing world wide educational opportunities for international students by providing quality instruction in the English language and the opportunity to learn and experience American culture. Your English Services (Y.E.S) provides home stay and supportive services. Y.E.S. works collaboratively with Merced College English Language Institute (MCELI).
- Through individualized testing, placement, advising and challenging instruction, the MCELI staff work in harmony to improve language skills and communication abilities.
- The principal components of the MCELI curriculum include listening/speaking, grammar, reading/vocabulary and writing skills. The standard length of a term at MCELI is 15~16 weeks, with sessions usually starting in January, May and August. Customized plans are also possible.
- The 18 hours per week of classroom instruction, designed to improve a student’s TOEFL proficiency, include topics such as Oral Communication, Pronunciation, Comprehension, Reading, Writing and Language Structure. Class assignments will be designed by MCELI instructors according to the student’s abilities. Taking the TOEFL exam is also available, at an additional charge, for those students who wish to eventually matriculate into an American college or university.
- Individual classes at MCELI have been designed to assist the student to pass the TOEFL exam and to succeed at written exams typical of American colleges and universities. Additionally, emphasis is placed on developing the various skills needed to be fully successful in college level classes.
- Instructional materials and methods have been designed to create a smooth transition from the pre-college setting of MCELI into the college classroom. Classes are small and intensive.
Located in one of the fastest growing parts of the United States, MCELI provides an intensive program of learning, recreation and cultural activities for students and professionals with the desire to improve English language skills while developing a better understanding of American culture and business practices.
MCELI facilities are located on the campus of Merced College, allowing students the opportunity to study and learn on an American college campus before actually being accepted into the College.
MCELI students have access to the facilities and activities of Merced College, which was established in 1962 and currently has 11,000 students. With the purchase of a Merced College Student Identification Card, MCELI students are able to use various services such as recreational programs and the College Library, with its extensive book and periodical collection, and student computer work stations.
Merced College is located in the heart of the great San Joaquin Valley and nestled between the sea and the mountains. There are dozens of tree shaded parks, miles of bike paths, municipal and private golf courses, and plenty of choices for sailing, water skiing and fishing. Merced has claimed the distinction as the “Gateway to Yosemite,” which is a world famous national park. It is also possible for students to take a day trip to everybody’s nearby favorite, San Francisco, and to beautiful beaches like Monterey, and the capital city of California, Sacramento.