The Sound of Music is directed by theater Professor Lauren McCue-Bryx, with musical direction from music Professor Alexander Simon, scenic and lighting design by Theater Production Lead Chad Phillips, and costumes by Christine Silveira.
“To collaborate with such a talented group of professionals and students on this Rodgers and Hammerstein classic has been a wonderful, indelible experience,” said McCue-Bryx, who also directed recent Merced College hits like The Great Gatsby and The Last Masquerade, an interactive haunted house. “With moving vocals and acting, exquisite costumes, a superb set, gorgeous lighting, and a live orchestra adeptly conducted by Alexander Simon, this production is not to be missed.”
Merced College is opening its theater doors for the first time to over 1,200 seventh-graders from the Merced City School District. Coordinated by John Albano, Dean of the Fine and Performing Arts and Social Sciences, and Renée Dekker, Area Administrative Coordinator for the Arts, performances will be held for Cruickshank Middle School, Le Grand Union, Hoover Middle School, Rivera Middle School, El Nido District, and Tenaya Middle School.
Adding to the family feel of the show, the production features family ties throughout its cast and crew.
- Captain Georg von Trapp is played by UC Merced Professor of Economics, Justin Hicks, whose two children are playing von Trapp’s children in the show. Gabriela Hicks plays Brigitta von Trapp and Michael Hicks plays Kurt von Trapp.
- Mother Abbess is played by Jenni Samuelson, a lecturer in music in the Global Arts Studies program at UC Merced who is also an award-winning soprano. Samuelson’s daughter, Abby Samuelson, plays the role of Louisa von Trapp.
- The role of Maria is played by Rachel Pearre, a professional actor who has played lead roles at Playhouse Merced, Prospect Theater Project, Merced Theatre and other prominent theaters in the central valley.
- Meg Camarda plays the role of Sister Berthe, and her daughter, Shannon, plays the role of Gretl von Trapp.
- Pamela Quevedo is playing a nun and Frau Zeller, and her daughter, Zairah Quevedo, plays Baroness Elberfeld and is part of the ensemble.
- Madison Mitchell (as Liesl), Jeffry Jackson (Rolf), Jordan Ellis (Max), Colton Dennis (Admiral von Schreiber), and David Hambley (Franz) are well-known performers and educators who have worked with Playhouse Merced, the MAC, Stockton Civic Theatre, Prospect Theater Project, Merced ShakespeareFest, the Gallo Center for the Arts, and others.
- Danielle Pasos, who plays the lead role of Elsa Schrader, is a recent graduate of Merced College, and this will be her last show at the school. She played Marisela in Just Like Us and Jordan Baker in The Great Gatsby at Merced College.
Performances are scheduled as follows:
- Friday, March 24 – 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 25 – 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, March 26 – 2 p.m.
- Friday, March 31 – 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 1 – 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, April 2 – 2 p.m.
Contact the Merced College Box Office at 209-384-6284, contact the Fine & Performing Arts Department at 209-386-6644, or visit us on Facebook.
Merced College does not discriminate, and prohibits harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Media Contact: James Leonard, firstname.lastname@example.org, 209-681-1061