Respondus and Proctorio
Respondus LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard. When students use LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading. Available for Windows, Mac and iOS (Not for Chromebooks and other devices).
Your instructor may require the use of Respondus for your class. In order for Respondus to work, you need to do these three things:
How to Install Respondus
- Download it - http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=546334588 (*)
* New link 2/23/2018
- Install it - Follow the prompts on the website link above
- Use it - Click on the Golden Padlock on your desktop (or in Applications under Finder, if you have a Mac)
#1 As soon as you start Respondus, it will prompt to to shut down certain applications, which needs to be done. Also, if a drop down box appears, choose Canvas, not Blackboard.
#2 Your username is the same as the MC4ME Portal (without @campus.mccd.edu); your password is the same as the MC Portal
#3 My computer is in Windows-S mode. It only allows me to instal Microsfot Apps. I cannot install Zoom, Respondus or anything else.
You can free your computer and allow it to install software by following the steps to Switch out of S Mode
I am getting an error when I run Respondus: Err_Cert_Date_Invalid (-201)
That's because you need to update your Mac OS.
I am getting an error when I run Respondus: ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED (-501)
That's because you need to update you DNS to Google's DNS servers (22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199)
Instructions here (Note: if you make a mistake entering the DNS, your computer will not be able to connect to the Internet)
Respondus Lockdown Browser on an iPad for Canvas:
Knewton LockDown Browser
This is not your standard LockDown browser, but a unique version. Instructions here:
How to Install Proctorio
Proctorio is a Chrome extension. Therefore, you need to install Chrome browser in order to be able to install the Chrome browser extension called Proctorio. (It won't work on a smartphone. It will work on Macs and Windows OS)
Attention Mac Users! Try this.
- Due to the system update, please click on the Apple icon in the top-left corner of your screen.
- Go to System Preferences.
- Click Security and Privacy.
- Click Privacy.
- Click Screen Recording.
- This might be locked. If it is, click on lock in bottom left of screen. Unlock with
- Once unlocked, click on + of + | -.
- Go to Applications, scroll to Google Chrome, highlight Google Chrome, click "open", and Google Chrome will be added to record the contents of your screen. When prompt is given to close Google Chrome and you are on Google Chrome, click "later".
- This might be locked. If it is, click on lock in bottom left of screen. Unlock with computer password.
- Make sure that the box to left of Google Chrome is checked.
- Once done, Quit Google Chrome and Reopen.
Desktop error fix for Mac: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhkUH3YymHM