Frequently Asked Questions:
- Q1. How do I register for classes online?
- Q2. How do I install Microsoft Office Pro?
- Q3. I cannot see a thing when I click on WebAdvisor via the MC Portal
- Q4. What do I do if an audio or video file doesn't play on Chrome, Mac, or iPhone?
- Q5. How do I reset/change the password for my email/MC Portal?
- Q6. I am having difficulties installing Respondus. Can you help?
- Q7. How do I log unto Canvas?
- Q8. How do I log into CCOpen?
- Q9. How do I access my Campus Email?
- Q10. How do I configure my iPhone, cell phone, or other email client, such as a PC, to retrieve emails from my college email account?
Check out useful How To videos here:
The Most Frequently Asked Question in 2020 is:
Why can't I access Canvas? I get an error.
Please, do not worry. Once the course starts, you will have access and you will be able to access Canvas.
The Second Most Frequently Asked Question in 2020 is:
Why can't I send emails? I get this message every time.
Q. Every time I try to send an email, I get this message, why?
A. Because you have not registered for classes.
Q. How do I fix it?
A. Register for a class, for only students registered for classes can send emails.
The Most Frequently Asked Question in 2021 is:
My computer is in Windows-S mode. It only allows me to instal Microsfot Apps. I cannot
install Zoom, Respondus or anything else.
You can free your computer and allow it to install software by following the steps to Switch out of S Mode
The Most Frequently Asked Question of all time is:
What is my username?
- What is my initial password, because it says OTP is not registered? Your DOB in MMDDYY format
- For MC Portal: firstname.lastnamexxx
- For Canvas: firstname.lastnamexxx
- For mycampuspermit: firstname.lastnamexxx
- For Orientation: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Placement Questionnaire: firstname.lastnamexxx
- For MCCD-WIFI: firstname.lastnamexxx
- For my email: email@example.com
- For my application at OpenCCC: Whatever you invented. We do not know: Call 877-247-4836 to find out.
- For my BankMobile account: Whatever you invented. We do not know: Call 877-327-9515 to find out.
- How do I access Pearson: MyLab, Mastering, Revel, Pearson +. Click here: https://sites.google.com/view/student-instructions-pearson/home
The password for MC Portal, Canvas, mycampuspermit, Orientation, Placement Questionnaire, Wi-Fi and Email is the same.Note: For the WiFi you may need to make sure protocol is set to PEAP, MSCHAPv2, and to not validate security.
Note 2: Use Chrome, works better. However, you may need to reset it, and tell it to forget previous passwords.
Go to Facebook to check for current issues:
A1: Make sure you have completed the Five Easy Steps to Register for Classes at MC.
A2: Watch the video on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN9rsRbhjNM
A2: Please install a copy for free of Microsoft Office Professional from within your school email:
Click on Install Office
Click on Office 365 apps
Instructions to install (read them)
- Do not forget to Activate Office after installation. Start Office and sign in with your student email account @campus.mccd.edu. You may need to switch accounts or switch to a different account if you are already logged on with an account other that your Merced College email address @campus.mccd.edu. The Activation Key is embedded in your Merced College email account. Once you log in with your Merced College email account the software will be activated.
How to resolve the problem "Word experienced an error trying to open the file" when
opening a Word document
The error students (and professors) are getting when they try to open a word document is "Word experienced an error trying to open the file"
The solution is simple. Download and right click on the file and change the security setting to "unblock"
My Office is not working! I get an error. I have a Moxee Hot Spot.
This is a common problem that has an easy fix. You need to change the DNS of the WiFi adapter.
Go to Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network Connections (Network and Sharing Center) to Change Adapter Settings, right click on the WiFi adapter (Moxee) and click on Wi-Fi Properties, then choose Internet Protocol Version 4 (DO NOT uncheck the box!) and click on Properties. A new window appears. Click on Use the Following DNS server addresses and type 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168. Click OK and close all the windows. It's all set and ready to go!
Note: If you rather, I can do it for you. Let's Zoom.
You are probably using Safari on your Apple device.
Use Chrome or Firefox instead.
Note: smart phones, iPads and other devices are not compatible with WebAdvisor Web Part
One: Get the WMV app for Chrome. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/avi-wmv-mov-video-play-pr/nacdgolbkcofkjfekpnfodnbhadjagbe?hl=en-US
Three - for MAC users: Let you Mac choose the App it needs to open the file (right click on it). If the App you have does not work, let you Mac choose the App on the Mac Store, download it and install it. It's easy! Alternatively, you can just go to the app store and type WMV player.
What if the video is in a PowerPoint presentation? (WMV videos will not play on an iPhone if they are embeded on a PowerPoint)
- Download Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, for free from www.office.com using you student email as the key.
- Open the PowerPoint presentation and right click on the media and save it locally.
- Left click on the media, and if it does not open, right click on it and look for an app in the App Store that will play it. (You can just type "wmv player" on the App Store and let Mac show you an App that will work.) Get and install the App.
- Play the videos from the location where so save the media locally.
Zoom with me and I'll help you: https://cccconfer.zoom.us/my/shd.mccd.edu/
NOTICE: PortalGuard is going away, which means that we have a new "PadLock" called OTKA. https://mccd.okta.com/
Please, refrain from using PortalGuard to reset your password. Use OTKA from now on. All info here: http://www.mccd.edu/resources/techsupport/new-pw-policy.html
Given that the password for your email is the same as the password for your MC Portal, you would need to reset the password for your MC Portal in order to reset the password for your email.
1. Go to MC Portal, type your username and password, click on Reset Password
2. If you established an email or phone number, a number will be sent to your device. That number allows you to reset/change the password. Otherwise call 209 381 6565, 209 381 6514.
3. The system will invite you to write a new password. Follow the instructions and click continue.
4. Set the Password. Now it's time to invent a new password folowing the instructions.
View these two resources for help:
Please click on the link and follow the prompts:
Important note: In order for Respondus to work, you need to do these three things:
- Download it
- Install it
- Use it (click on the Golden Padlock on your desktop). Your username is the same as the MC4ME Portal; your password is your DOB in MMDDYY format.
- Your password should be your DOB in MMDDYY. If it is not, go to Blackboard via MC4ME Portal and change it under "settings", "personal information" in the upper handside corner.
- Student Quick Start Quide from Respondus
If you are an MAC iPad user folow this directions:
Using the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser
A student should follow these steps to take an exam with the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser:
- Download and install the "LockDown Browser" app from Apple iTunes to the iPad. (Requires iOS 7 or higher.)
- Enable iPad's "Guided Access" by selecting iPad > Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access. Turn on Guided Access and set a passcode (you need to remember this passcode to exit Guided Access after an exam). The setup for Guided Access only needs to be done once.
- Start the LockDown Browser app.
- The first time the app is used, you will be prompted to select your institution and server. (If you later need to change the institution or server, select the settings icon on the LockDown Browser toolbar.)
- Triple-press the iPad home button to start Guided Access and enter LockDown Browser.
- After completing the exam, triple-press the home button and enter the passcode to exit Guided Access.
- Press the Home button again to return to the Home page.
Use the same username you use for the Portal (without @campus.mccd.edu), and the same
Important: You will not be able to access Canvas but until your course begins
To reset your password with CCOpen, call the Chancellor's Help Desk at 877 247 4836.
You will need to go to https://www.office.com
Your username is the same as MC Portal, but adding @campus.mccd.edu.
The password for your email is the same as the password for your MC portal and Canvas
Note: wait 5 minutes after changing the MC Portal password for it to work on your email.
The username for your MC Portal is: jon.smith
The username for Canvas is: jon.smith
The username for your MC email is: firstname.lastname@example.org
(The username for Canvas, WiFi, Parking, etc. is the same as the username for the MC Portal)
Use Chrome browser, it works better (if it does not work, reset the browser).
However, if you do not know your password for the MC Portal, we will reset it. Email me at email@example.com. We will help you!
The password for the MC Portal is the same password for you student email. Please note that you will never be able to start a password reset procedure from you Microsoft account. Why? Because the "Source of Truth" (https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/single-source-of-truth-SSOT) is MC Portal. In other words, in the hierarchical structure MC Portal RULES, which means that the password for your MC Portal will become the password for your student email.
Q10. How do I configure my iPhone, cell phone, or other email client, such as a PC, to retrieve emails from my college email account?
The settings for configuring your personal device to retrieve emails from your college count are represented in the screenshot below: