Readiness for Online Classes
Canvas – Canvas is the District Learning Management System and where all online instruction will occur. Download the Canvas app:
Below are links to the Canvas Guide for students, the Canvas 101 course shell that houses support videos for students, and the YouTube Canvas tutorial channel for students:
Online Learning Readiness Quiz
Merced College Internet-based classes give students an opportunity to complete course work outside the classroom at times they find most convenient. Take our Online Learning Readiness Quiz to determine what you need to do to succeed at online learning.
New to Online Classes?
Are online classes right for you?
The following online tools are provided by the California Community Colleges Online Education Initiative:
|01 - Introduction to Online Learning||View|
|02 - Getting Tech Ready||View|
|03 - Organizing for Online Success||View|
|04 - Online Study Skills and Managing Time||View|
|05 - Communication Skills for Online Learning||View|
|06 - Online Reading Strategies||View|
|07 - Career Planning||View|
|08 - Educational Planning||View|
|09 - Instructional Support||View|
|10 - Personal Support||View|
|11 - Financial Planning||View|
More tools to help you succeed:
Basic technology skills for success
- Students must already possess the following technology skills:
- Use of e-mail
- Ability to create and e-mail documents as attachments (Word and RTF)
- Experience with uploading and downloading files
- Experience with posting to discussion boards, on-line chats, and electronic bulletin boards
- Students must be able to access their Merced College student e-mail account and have reliable Internet access.
- It is strongly recommended that students have easy and regular access (preferably from home) to the identified types of equipment and software.
You may need to come on campus
Currently most of the Internet-based classes require some time on campus in face-to-face contact with the instructor. This requirement will vary from class to class, so read the schedule carefully.
All orientations and in-class sessions for Online Instruction take place on the Merced College Main Campus located at 3600 M Street in Merced or the Los Banos Campus at 22240 Highway 152 in Los Banos.
Don't get dropped from your online class
Failure to attend a mandatory orientation or in-class session may result in your being dropped from the class by the instructor. Some of the instructors require that you e-mail them BEFORE THE CLASS BEGINS. It is highly recommended that you e-mail the instructor for instructions several weeks before the class begins.
Useful Guidelines for Success
* These multimedia tutorials were developed by the OEI and are copyrighted to the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. Under Creative Commons licensing, they are available to all California community colleges and may be re-purposed to meet the unique needs of an individual college.
Check out these study tools recommended by other students to help you with your online classes.
|EclipseCrossword||Study for vocabulary by building crosswords with this free download. You can even build crosswords as a group and share with your peers.|
|Flashcard Machine||Create, study and share online flash cards.|
|Quizlet||Use simple tools that let you study for anything, for free.|
|StudyBlue||Review a library of online study materials which includes more than 350 million user-generated digital notecards.|