The department's services are available to faculty, administration, staff and students as well as non-profit community members.
Index of Services & Information (also available as a Print Services Brochure):
- The Print Request Process
- Copyright Notice
- Project Analysis
- Copy Ready Submissions
- Project Specifications
- Turn-Around Times
- Print Services Statistics
- Publishing Services
- Bindery & Finishing Services
- Other Services Offered
Proper authorization/approval to print is required of all Print Services work that is to be billed agianst college account lines. Your area/department secretary or supervisor can direct you regarding use of our services and the correct billing/charge-to information. The department recovers costs by allocating them to the user departments duplicating account lines/s through a charge-back system. Charges are based upon incurred expenses (materials, supplies, additional labor, etc...) plus a small overhead to account for proofing and waste. Please note, the requestor is responsible for any work submitted including the reprinting of any work where the error lies with the requestor.
Access our print request forms from our main page.
Specific instructions are included with the print request forms. Choose the standard print request form for all orders except those to be printed/distributed by the Bookstore. For Bookstore submissions, chose the Bookstore only form. Complete all parts of the form that apply to your specific print. request and submit via email - on campus or off!
Please call or email us with any questions or problems.
The requestor assumes full liability for any work submitted. Any person requesting, or using, copyrighted work for purposes in excess of “fair use” is liable for copyright infringement and is subject to civil and criminal penalties. We reserve the right to refuse a print request if, in our judgement, fulfillment would involve any violation of copyright law. In such circumstances, an authorizing official’s permission will be required before proceeding with the print request.
Answering these questions, among others, will help you define project parameters and develop accurate project specifications for your print request.
- Budget? - Perhaps the most important question to answer, and upon which all other specifications are based.
- Objective of the Publication (inform, entertain, get noticed)?
- Expected lifetime of publication?
- Design considerations/copy/artwork/photography/other info?
Copy ready/hardcopies may be left with area secretaries for pickup, placed in our mailbox, Stop#41, or dropped off at the department, located in the Security building off of University Avenue.
- It is your responsibility to proofread copy ready submissions!
- When sending originals, please remove any staples. Also, no paste ups will be accepted.
- Please note, digital files will reproduce with a higher quality and are strongly recommended whenever possible.
Consider the following information when completing a print request.
- Date required/time frame needed to complete project?
- Copy-ready or composition needed?
- Quantity required?
- Color/Colors or B&W? (B&W is ten times cheaper than color and should be used whenever appropriate.
- Color, one color or full, is much more effective at getting an audience’s attention)
- One side or back to back printing?
- Back to back printing saves money on paper costs!
- Finishing & bindery requirements?
- Security concerns?
- Special instructions?
- Delivery to information?
- Paper (type, color, weight, size)?
Every effort is made to provide rapid, accurate, service with the majority of simple copy work completed within 24 hrs of being submitted. However, specific turn-around times are determined by the project on a case by case basis. Please consult with staff for time sensitive projects.
- Walk-in, print on demand service is a courtesy only and is highly discouraged. Due to workload demands, we cannot guarantee our ability to accept or complete any work submitted less than 24 hrs before date due.
- Offset Press projects and work requiring composition need, on average, a minimum of 1.5 to 3 weeks lead time.
- Composition work may require a signed proof approval before final printing can begin.
- Turn around time may be increased at the beginning and end of each semester due to increased volume.
- Work requiring bindery and finishing services will require more time to complete and may require other special considerations before a project can be accepted.
- Unexpected downtime caused by equipment breakdown may interfere with timely completion of services. We appreciate your understanding in such circumstances.
Pickup and delivery service to area secretaries and select locations throughout campus is scheduled daily throughout the year as workload and capabilities allow. Specific schedules may vary. Please contact staff for the latest schedule or special requirements.
- Average Black & White Copier Impressions/Year: 5,000,000
- Average Color Impressions/Year: 500,000
- Average Recycled Content as % of total: 31%
- Professional Custom Design Services for a variety of special projects and promotional publications. Capabilities include design and layout, logos, illustrations, digital imaging, photography, and copy writing.
- Full Color and B&W Copying/Printing on both traditional & digital presses on sizes up to 12x18 inches
(11x17 full bleed).
- Wide Format Ink Jet Printing on a variety of surfaces ranging from outdoor synthetic papers to archival photo papers and canvas in sizes up to 60 inches wide and at lengths over 20 feet.
- Variable Data Printing for sequential numbering, personalization, and targeted address lists for tickets, envelopes, postcards, etc..
- Special Secure Handling security/confidential materials can be shrink wrapped.
Available through the Merced College Press (Contact the Print Services Office for more information: 209-384-6179)
Work requiring bindery and finishing services require more time to complete. Please plan accordingly. Some bindery work is so labor intensive that special consultation is required before we can accept the project. Please consult with staff for any questions regarding bindery work.
- Standard & Specialty Folding single or half fold, letter fold, accordion or Z fold, double parallel fold, gate fold, engineering fold, french fold and double letter fold
- Padding NCR, notepads, etc...
- Perforate for ease of separation, ideal for tickets, return postcards, etc...
- Stapling flat and saddle stitching
- Drilling 1-3 holes
- Tape Binding
- Comb Binding
- Cutting handles media up to 54 inches wide
- Foam Core/Backing Board
- Laminating 5 mil lamination in regular and UV coating to help minimize fading. Handles media up to 22 inches wide. We also laminate on backing board up to .25 inch thick.
- Shrink Wrap for projects requiring security.
Special services are available on a case by case basis and require consultation before authorizing such projects - spiral binding, specialty folds and fine-art framing are examples of such services. Other specialized services include identity and brand analysis, and marketing-visual communication consultation.
Our products include, but are not limited to:
- Copy Projects (handouts, tests, forms, course outlines,
syllabus, faculty developed textbooks, etc...)
- Booklets & Brochures
- Signs & Banners
- Carbonless Forms/NCR
- Business Cards
- Cards & Invitations
- Adhesive Stickers/Labels
- Badges & Hang Tags
*Don’t have what you want? Let us know!
Paper is the foundation for your publication and a significant factor in the total cost of a project and should be considered carefully before proceeding with a print request. Please note, a particular stock or color may not always be available. Please stop by the department to view available stock. For items not stocked, special orders may be available. Please consult with staff.
- Standard White 20# Bond paper - the least expensive and most commonly used paper for printing, also available in a variety of colors.
- Cardstock & Cover Weight Paper - used when greater bulk is required such as covers, postcards or inserts.
- Glossy Coated Papers - the standard modern, glossy paper, available in text and cover weight.
- Speciality Papers, Envelopes, & Cards - in general, more expensive, for business cards, letterhead, stationery, postcards, certificates, etc...
The cost for services varies according to the projects specifications. We are always happy to supply a quote for your project when requested.
Two important cost factors to consider are:
- The printing method - which is largely determined by the
quantity and turn around time. The B&W copier is fastest and least exspensive. The digital color press is fast but expensive. The offset press requires a lengthy setup and feasible only for very large runs.
- The paper stock - price may vary greatly depending on stock used.